Thursday, April 26, 2012

Something Extra With the Paper

Newspaper holder by Teckelcar
Newspaper holder, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This is the newspaper slot below our mailbox. Nothing fancy, just grey boards nailed together with the mailbox attached to the top. For the past few years we haven't gotten the paper, the local paper is not that exciting and I can never keep up. So excepting he occasional flyers promoting various lawn, home repair, and house keeping services the slot remains empty.

Although sometimes in the spring it is not.

A few days ago I saw a bird flitting about the mailbox. I didn't think much of it until I realized it was nesting season. I peered inside and could see way in the back a soft little nest of moss, down, and lawn clippings.

Stealth Nest by Teckelcar
Stealth Nest, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
Our little bird tenants were back.

A few years ago a nest appeared, but sadly the chicks didn't survive. Some sort of predator got to them before they had fully fledged. From what I could see the chicks in there right now are still quite young, if you look carefully you can just make out a beak. There are at least three chicks in there, maybe four.

I'll try to keep tabs on them, but in a low key manner. I don't want to overly disturb the parents. At least they are used to our daily collecting of the mail. Hopefully this brood will do better than the previous one. It's fun having a secret nest under the mailbox.

No comments: