Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Baking With Julia- Lemon Loaf

Lemon Loaf by Teckelcar
Lemon Loaf, a photo by Teckelcar on Flickr.
This month's second challenge from Baking with Julia was Lemon Loaf. For details on how to bake the cake head on over to Treats (which has a nice modification) and The Beauty of Life that has a very bittersweet post.

I'm so very glad that this cake came after Passover, it made for a very nice post-Pesach treat. Though really, I was just happy neither of the challenges were scheduled then. Yes I could have baked in advance, but it would have felt all wrong to blog about chametz.

Anyhoo, the cake itself is a snap to make. It's nice to make something simple and unfussy. The lemon flvor is mild, but I expect it to deepen over time.My only complaint is that the cake was quite dry. A tall glass of milk is in order with a nice dollop of whipped cream on the slice. Diane had an excellent idea of macerated strawberries as a topping. I might just have to pick up a pint of two of strawberries.

4 comments:

Treats said...

Your cake looks great!

Sarah said...

Thank you! I just had a slice with whipped cream and strawberries, very yummy.

Cher Rockwell said...

This was a simple cake & we did like ours better the second day.

lauren said...

Great job! Strawberries sound wonderful - I can't wait for them to come into season here in NJ.